Introduction: When creating an outdoor living space for your newly built home, tarmac patios offer a versatile and cost-effective option. Tarmac is not just for driveways; it can also be used to create stylish and functional patios. In this blog post, presented by Ely Driveways & Surfacing, we will explore design ideas and considerations for newly built tarmac patios to help you maximise your outdoor area.
Design Ideas for Tarmac Patios
- Modern Minimalism: Embrace a sleek and modern look with a tarmac patio, clean lines, and minimalistic design. Incorporate geometric shapes, large pavers, and neutral colours to create a contemporary outdoor space.
- Contrasting Borders: Add visual interest to your tarmac patio by incorporating contrasting borders or edging. Consider using different materials like bricks, stones, or concrete to define the patio area and create a striking border.
- Stamped or Stenciled Patterns: Tarmac can be stamped or stencilled to mimic the appearance of other materials such as brick, tile, or natural stone. This allows you to achieve the look of more expensive materials while benefiting from the tarmac’s durability.
- Integrated Planters: Incorporate built-in planters within your tarmac patio design. These planters can be filled with flowers, shrubs, or small trees, adding a touch of greenery and colour to your outdoor space.
- Furniture and Decor: Choose outdoor furniture and decor that complements the style of your tarmac patio. Consider lounge seating, dining sets, umbrellas, and lighting to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Site Preparation: Proper site preparation is essential for the longevity of your tarmac patio. Ensure the ground is adequately compacted and levelled before tarmac installation.
- Drainage: Address drainage concerns to prevent water from pooling on your patio. Proper grading and including drainage solutions like permeable tarmac or drainage channels are crucial.
- Maintenance: Tarmac patios are relatively low-maintenance, but regular sweeping and occasional power washing will keep them looking their best. Consider applying a sealant to protect the surface and enhance its appearance.
- Accessibility: Ensure your patio is accessible and well-connected to your indoor living spaces. Thoughtful design can create a seamless transition between the indoors and outdoors.
- Budget: Tarmac patios are cost-effective compared to other materials, but your budget will influence the complexity of your patio design and any additional features you incorporate.
Benefits of Tarmac Patios
- Durability: Tarmac is known for its strength and resilience, making it an excellent choice for patios that endure heavy foot traffic and outdoor use.
- Cost-Effective: Tarmac is a budget-friendly option, allowing you to create a functional and attractive outdoor space without breaking the bank.
- Customisation: Tarmac can be customised in colour, patterns, and borders, giving you creative freedom in your patio design.
- Low Maintenance: Tarmac patios require minimal maintenance, saving you time and effort in the long run.
Conclusion: New-built tarmac patios offer a practical and visually appealing solution for outdoor living spaces. Considering design ideas and important factors during the planning phase, you can create a patio that complements your new home and enhances your outdoor enjoyment.